Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Remember that scene...

...from Stand By Me where they boys are telling stories around the fire...and one is about the kid that gets fed up with being bullied. Literally fed up. He created a major scene at the pie eating contest.

A Barf-O-Rama

Pretty much sums up Thanksgiving. Half the people in attendance went home with the stomach flu. In the spirit of Thanksgiving, thankfully most waited until they got home to start with symptoms. Davis alone used up most of the clean towels in my parent's house when the virus hit me, I mean, her. Poor little lady. It's impossible to explain to a 15 month old 1. That she is sick. It's not permanent. and 2. That she is sick. No, sorry, you can't have any milk. Or that banana. You will just throw it up (on me) again. Luckily for Davis, Mimi didn't understand that either. Same with my five nieces that were veryveryveryveryveryveryveryvery concerned. In the end, she got her banana and some pedialyte and a private concert featuring said nieces singing 'wheels on the bus' and surprised us all that she held everything down. She was also introduced to this box called a tv and big goof of a purple dinosaur. What IS it about this dino? I just don't get it. Sesame St. I get. Big purple dinos? Not so much. She spent the rest of her time in Texas walking around with a B video tape begging, no demanding, anyone to put "Ba" on NOW. Always with a signed Please and Thank You. Because those ARE the magic words after all. The stuff even rubbed off on me!

Most everyone left Mom & Dad's house on Saturday morning. Davis started in Sat. night. The phone calls kept coming, all beginning with "insertnamehere is sick." Rolyn and were worried. Knowing we had a plane ride ahead of us, every call that came in was torture. Would we get it? Most importantly WHEN? On Sunday after my sister and her family left we got a call that they were sick too. Rolyn screamed "Can we just get it already? The anticipation is killing me!" We opted out of visiting anyone we had planned to see as we didn't want to get families sick. Thankfully we stayed away.

Can you guess where this story is going? I bet you can guess part of it. But never, ever in a million year will you guess all of it.

Tuesday afternoon we get all packed and ready to head to the airport. Mom check with AA and finds out we are delayed by 2 hours. grrrr. Rolyn starts complaining his stomach is not "right" uh, oh. Off to the airport. Checked in. Extra (free) seat for Davis. yay! Delayed another 30 minutes. boo! Rolyn not feeling good. He's lying down on the floor at the gate. Plane arrives. We board. Take off. Davis falls asleep instantly. yay! Rolyn collects all the air sick bags and puts in his seat pocket. Then he notices a full row empty so he takes off to lie down. I proceed to watch HS Musical (another wha? for me. right up there with the purple dino) Have a drink. Eat a bagel. Let Davis stretch out on the empty two seats next to me. "This all worked out just fine," I think to myself.

And then out of NOWHERE. I feel sick. WHAT??!! I have .5 seconds to lunge across Davis to grab the air sick bags, open one and well...BARF-O-Rama. I ring for the flight attendant. It's only been 2 maybe 3 seconds from "we're all good" to this particular moment. This is when I notice that the air sick bag Does. Not. Hold. Liquid. WTF? Honestly why bother? Is a wax coating really that spendy? By the time the flight attendant got to me, which I have to say was very fast, there was vomit everywhere. I tell her to PLEASE wake the poor soul sitting behind me as his bag might be (for sure) getting messed up a bit. UGH. Embarrassed is not the right word. Humiliated. Nope not strong enough either. The flight attendant hands me two blankets to cover the mess and tells me they will clean it when we get to NY! WHAT? That's two more hours away? Nice.

It's about this time I notice Rolyn's head pop up and he looks at me and I wave him over. He comes back and says, "you ok?" When I told him what happened he was shocked. And then he said "I have to go. That smell is about to get me going too." There's that scene from Stand By ME in my head again. Thankfully it didn't go any further than me.

Rolyn got lucky and his hit about 5am at home. Lucky Lucky.

And just in case that description wasn't graphic enough for you...yes, it really is NO FUN getting sick on an airplane. I mean I used to always think about how there could be nothing worse. Now I know. It's even worse than I had imagined. And like I've said many times before, I'm pretty good with imagining.

All that said, Barf-O-Rama and all. Thankgiving is still my favorite holiday. Fried turkey. Chocolate pie. Family. LOTS of family. This year was my second year to be thankful with every cell in my body that I have Davis. I still have to pinch myself sometimes that she is even real and most importantly HERE, alive and kicking, and screaming, kissing, loving, laughing, dancing, and on and on. Wow. Amazing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

yuck, we were at a family party last weekend and all came home with the pukes. Luckily it waited until we were off the plane. So sorry you all got hit with it

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home